EAPS Fifth-Year Master of Science Degree

For current EAPS undergraduate students and select MIT undergraduates from associated disciplines, the Department offers a Fifth-Year Master of Science Degree Program.

Consult with Ann Greaney-Williams, EAPS Academic Administrator, about your interest in the program and for instructions on how to apply.

MIT Requirements

Master of Science Degree

- Without specification


  • 66 subject units


  • a thesis, approved by the department in which student is enrolled


  • registration as a full-time regular graduate student for a minimum of one regular academic term


  • registration for thesis in all semesters during which the student’s thesis research or writing is actually in progress and during the term when the student appears on the degree list

- With specification


  • 34 subjects units and a thesis in a single approved program, as determined by a departmental committee on graduate students

Simultaneous Award of Bachelor and Master Degrees

  • Student must be an undergraduate student of the Institute who is enrolled as a candidate for the bachelor’s degree

  • Student must apply for graduate admission in the traditional way

  • Student must register as a full-time regular graduate student for a minimum of one regular academic term

  • Thesis submitted for the master degree may also be accepted by the department in fulfillment of the undergraduate thesis requirement

EAPS Requirements

How to Apply

  • The application deadline for admission to the Fifth-Year Master Program is Dec 1 (after this date contact the Education Office directly to discuss options).

  • The application should be submitted using the online form. Before trying to access the form, contact Ann Greaney-Williams for instructions.

  • You do not need to complete the "Subjects Taken" section.

  • The Statement of Objectives is your thesis proposal.

  • GRE scores are not required

  • For EAPS students, the Education Office will print a copy of your most recent grade report to substitute for a transcript

  • Non-EAPS students (from other departments) should submit an unofficial MIT transcript with the rest of the application materials

  • Two letters of evaluation must be submitted, one of which must be a letter of academic support from your proposed thesis supervisor

Completion of the Program

The student’s progress will be monitored each term by the EAPS Committee on the Education Program [CEP]. Continuation beyond three terms—including summer term—must be approved by the CEP. A public presentation of thesis results in a departmental seminar or lecture is required

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take some of my graduate classes while still an undergraduate?

You can register for graduate classes while still an undergraduate. You will initially receive undergraduate credit, but after your admission to the Master’s Program, you can petition to have the credit converted to graduate credit. The only restriction is that the class must not have been counted for your undergraduate degree audit.

What is the difference between an undergraduate thesis and a master thesis?

The two theses and the research that supports them differ in depth and independence.

Do I have to write one thesis or two?

If you receive your degrees sequentially, you will write two theses. However, your undergraduate thesis or independent research project can serve as the nucleus for your master thesis. If you receive the two degrees simultaneously, EAPS and MIT will accept your master thesis as fulfillment of the undergraduate requirement. You will still have to register and receive credit for 12.TIP and 12.ThU.

What are the funding options?

EAPS master degree students are not guaranteed financial support. If  you are planning on receiving your S.B. and M.S. simultaneously you should be aware that you are not eligible for the financial aid you received as an undergraduate student. This results from your needing to be registered as a graduate student during your final term. If you receive your degrees sequentially, this is not an issue. You will keep your undergraduate financial aid through the completion of your undergraduate program.

When preparing to apply to this program you can discuss with your potential research supervisor the possibility of receiving funding from a research grant. Occasionally a position as a teaching assistant is available, but this can not be guaranteed ahead of time. Finally you can look at external resources. Some of the national professional organizations have scholarship programs for students. A list of some possibilities is here.

All students are eligible to apply for loans at any time. General funding information is outlined on the Admitted Students webpage.  Detailed information on student loans is provided by Student Financial ServicesEAPS is not involved in making loans. If you intend to apply for a loan, be sure to file the necessary forms well in advance of the start of your program so the administrative details are out of the way when the semester begins.