Information for Admitted Students

Congratulations on your admission to Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences.


Let Us Know Your Decision 
You can notify us of your decision concerning enrolling by emailing the Reply Form to the EAPS Education Office (

Your Athena Computing Account

Shortly after you accept our offer of admission, we will send you instructions and credentials for establishing your electronic identity/computer account at MIT. The IS&T office has a website that provides an overview of computing technology issues on-campus. Once you have created your Athena account you will have access to websites only available to the MIT community, such as the MIT Housing website. You should upload both an MIT certificate authority and personal certificate to your computer. General information and instructions for obtaining certificates are here.


MIT has a number of options for Graduate and Family Housing. The website for MIT Housing Office also has information to help you find off-campus housing if that is your choice.  For updated off-campus housing listings and expert advice; please see

Applications for on-campus housing will open in the middle of April for new students. Check the Housing Office website so you don't missing any deadlines for applying.


MIT Medical has an informative website on their facilities and the insurance plans available to you. You are required to submit a medical form with your immunization history prior to your registration for the first term. Specific plan documents are also available at the previous url.


  • Log onto WEBSIS, the on-line student information system, to enter your emergency contact information and your term address. See WebSIS for New Students for detailed instructions. WEBSIS will be your gateway to both academic and financial information while you are a student.

  • Visit the Atlas Service Center on the first floor of E17. Here you will be able to:

    • Get your MIT ID card. You will need to present a valid picture ID (a driver's license, passport, etc.)

    • Students funded with research or teaching assistantships are required to complete an I-9 form. View the form to see required documentation. You cannot be paid until you have submitted this form. Even if you are supported by a fellowship currently, we recommend filling out the form now so that your pay is not delayed when your support changes to an RA or TA in future years.

    • Make arrangements for parking or using public transportation. (See below.)

  • Get a key to your office. Visit the Administrative Assistant who supports your advisor or see Karen Fosher (54-920).

  • You can go to Student Services Center (11-120) to get answers for any financial aid or billing questions.

  • Meet with your advisor before classes start for the term. You will register for classes online, and your advisor will need to approve of your planned classes. Contact the EAPS Education Office if there is a problem arranging the meeting.

  • You can travel to and from campus using either your private car or the public transportation system.

    • If you will be driving, you need to arrange for parking at MIT. Complete the MIT Parking Application.

    • The public transportation system in the Boston area is a system of buses and subway lines that is run by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), nicknamed the “T”. See the Commuter Connections website to get an MBTA pass through MIT.