How to Apply
Apply online (credit card required)
- Transcripts and letters of evaluation should be submitted electronically. Directions are included as part of the application instructions. Under special circumstances material may be sent by post and addressed to:
- The number of students accepted for spring admission is very limited. Often we hold the spring applications for consideration for fall admission with the agreement of the applicant.
- Please be sure to complete the “Subjects Taken” section, which places your educational background in the context of discipline rather than chronology. You should list the science and math courses, by field, that you consider to provide either major or supportive backgrounds for your proposed studies. Please list math courses first. Occasionally courses in areas other than science and math will have provided a background relevant to you proposed graduate studies. If so, please list these courses last.
- We have no required minimum scores on the GRE General Test.
Application to the MIT/WHOI Joint Program research areas of Chemical Oceanography, Physical Oceanography, and Marine Geology and Geophysics must be done through the MIT/WHOI admissions portal.
Graduate Application Deadlines
- November 1 (for February admission)
- January 5 (for September admission)